LES DONNELLY SCHOLARSHIP
The Les Donnelly Scholarship provides financial assistance to a post-secondary student who has contributed to health and safety in their community. It is awarded annually and applicants must submit their responses to the eligibility questions along with their application to be considered. The Saskatchewan Safety Council must receive applications no later than May 31st for the same year of studies.
Please forward completed applications to:
email@example.com (please include "Les Donnelly Scholarship Application" in the subject line)
Les Donnelly Scholarship
Saskatchewan Safety Council
445 Hoffer Drive
Regina, SK S4N 6E2
About Les Donnelly
Les Donnelly has had a significant impact on safety in the province of Saskatchewan. He served as Executive Director for the Saskatchewan Safety Council from 1970 to 1983 where he initiated many essential programs and events that aimed to raise awareness about the importance of safety and injury prevention in the workplace as well as in the home.
Under Donnelly’s guidance and persistence, Saskatchewan became the first province in Canada to achieve meaningful results in seatbelt awareness. Seatbelt usage soared from 6% to 65% in 1976 because of his vision of a safer Saskatchewan.
Among his many achievements, he started Occupational Health and Safety training programs, Forklift training, Fire Control School, Confined Space and H2S training, Motorcycle training, School Bus Safety, Snowmobile Safety, Professional Driver Improvement training and the Industrial Safety Seminar.
Donnelly’s accomplishments spanned outside of the Safety Council as well. He helped to start the South Saskatchewan Chapter of the Canadian Society of Safety Engineering and was involved in many community organizations including the United Way, Government House Historical Society, Martha House and the Canadian Club.
In recognition of his service and commitment to the safety community he was inducted into the Saskatchewan Safety Hall of Fame in 2010 and awarded an honorary life membership to the Saskatchewan Safety Council.
- Safety Culture or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Safety
- Welcome from the New Community Relations Coordinator
- 2016 Safety Professional of the Year
- New President Elected
- What Does Safety Mean if you are not sure where you will Sleep or if you will Eat Tonight?
- Council Expands Online Training Store
- 22 Key Words and Phrases Used by Frauds
- Twelve Red Flags of Frauds
- Online Agriculture Safety Training (OATS) adopted by Sun West School Division
- An Ounce of Prevention
- You Like us on Facebook, now See Us First
- Sock it to ‘em
- In the Dark
- Providing Safety Training to Budding Entrepreneurs Since 1965
- Taking Registrations
- Supporting the Council Just Got Easier
- Those Who Keep Us Safe Deserve Recognition
- 3M Safety Roadshow makes a stop in Regina
- Barry Muir's was a Life Dedicated to Safety and Learning
- Why Support the Saskatchewan Safety Council?
- Safe Choice