The Saskatchewan Safety Council was formed after a national safety convention was held in Ottawa in 1955. The major focus of the conference was to establish provincial safety councils across Canada to help curb the growing number of injuries and fatalities.
On November 15, 1955 in Regina, C.M. Fines, the Minister Responsible for the Highway Traffic Board and S.G.I.O. laid the groundwork for the new organization, the Saskatchewan Highway Safety Council. The Council's first office opened at 1721 Scarth Street in Regina and the organization was lead by new president and general manager, Leonard Bowman.
From the start the Council was involved in many issues and helped to mold public opinion on many traffic issues including mandatory seatbelt use, acceptance of breathalyzer evidence in court and driver education in all high schools.
By 1962, it became clear that other safety areas needed to be addressed. The all inclusive Saskatchewan Safety Council was officially launched on June1, 1963 and two new divisions were formed, the Farm division and the Public division (now known as the Home and Community division).
In 1970 the Council's Occupation division was started and the Industrial Safety Seminar was organized in 1973 to address the need for occupational safety training and upgrading in the province.
Today the Saskatchewan Safety Council is a central voice whenever safety education and public awareness is concerned. The Council continues to operate as a non-profit, charitable organization offering a variety of comprehensive safety education programs and public awareness events for the people of Saskatchewan.
- Why Get Fit Tested?
- Strategic Alliance Formed between Industries to Deliver Free Career Safety Education
- Mental Health and Safety
- Making Safe Choices Even if you Fall in Snowbanks
- Interview with a Winner!
- Breaking the Ice with Winter Safety Tips
- Quick 3 Steps to Getting Fit!
- Senior Safety
- Spooky Safety Tips
- October=Distracted Driving Month
- Floor Warden! Fire Extinguishers!
- “Fall” into Safe Choices
- Early Safety Training
- Singular Source for All Things Safety Related in Saskatchewan
- Safety Studiously
- Learning to Ride
- All the Safety Training!
- Safety Culture or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Safety
- Welcome from the New Community Relations Coordinator
- 2016 Safety Professional of the Year
- New President Elected
- What Does Safety Mean if you are not sure where you will Sleep or if you will Eat Tonight?
- Council Expands Online Training Store
- 22 Key Words and Phrases Used by Frauds
- Twelve Red Flags of Frauds
- 16 Ways a Con Artist Gets Information on Potential Victims
- Online Agriculture Safety Training (OATS) adopted by Sun West School Division
- You Like us on Facebook, now See Us First
- Sock it to ‘em
- In the Dark
- Providing Safety Training to Budding Entrepreneurs Since 1965
- Taking Registrations
- Supporting the Council Just Got Easier
- It’s Better to Prevent than to Treat
- Those Who Keep Us Safe Deserve Recognition
- 3M Safety Roadshow makes a stop in Regina
- Barry Muir's was a Life Dedicated to Safety and Learning
- Why Support the Saskatchewan Safety Council?
- Safe Choice