Ag in Motion
What happens when you mix innovation, agriculture, crop plots, and the outdoors? You get Ag in Motion!
Had you encountered us at the largest agricultural trade show in Western Canada last week you would have found us talking about Agriculture Safety…and the people we met were awesome with their safety questions, their stories, and their mad skills at backing trailers up.
What was that? We had people backing up a trailer? Yep. We did that. Not in a race to back the trailer up the quickest, but as part of a safety challenge. Participants learned safe practices for backing up a trailer, securing a load, and inspecting a vehicle and trailer before driving off.
Thanks to Bayer Crop Science, we were able to have a chemical tote (don’t worry, it was never used) and some empty chemical containers to secure to the small UTV. (Thanks Ken Matechuk, a Canada Safety Council Instructor in ATV/UTV training in Southern Saskatchewan, for letting us borrow his UTV and trailer for the week.)
Our course wasn’t super hard, but involved some tricky components. Participants had to drive the UTV forward and then back it around a corner. Before any towing happened, we coached participants through a vehicle and trailer circle-check. We tried to thwart them by unhooking safety chains or only putting only one strap on the load, but all participants caught our little tricks.
One of our participants just started learning how to back up a trailer a couple of weeks before attempting our course. She was excited to pick up some tips and did very well.
Another participant, a teen who just started driving, wanted to work on backing up trailers. Her dad “volun-told” her to participate. Nervously she agreed. However, we guided her through and she walked away with more knowledge to aid her in backing up the family boat!
What are your safe backing tips? What would you like to see or do at our booth in the future?
- Lunch and Learn
- Saskatchewan Safety Council joins the RRLIP Partnership Council!
- Summer Bash!
- First Ride
- Mental Health Training Added to Career Safety Education!
- Ag in Motion
- Agriculture Safety
- For a Great Cause!
- A Progressive Agriculture Safety Day
- Cade Sprackman Safety Day in Hudson Bay
- Get Defensive!
- Why Get Fit Tested?
- Strategic Alliance Formed between Industries to Deliver Free Career Safety Education
- Mental Health and Safety
- Making Safe Choices Even if you Fall in Snowbanks
- Interview with a Winner!
- Breaking the Ice with Winter Safety Tips
- Quick 3 Steps to Getting Fit!
- Senior Safety
- Spooky Safety Tips
- October=Distracted Driving Month
- Floor Warden! Fire Extinguishers!
- “Fall” into Safe Choices
- Early Safety Training
- Singular Source for All Things Safety Related in Saskatchewan
- Safety Studiously
- Learning to Ride
- All the Safety Training!
- Safety Culture or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Safety
- Welcome from the New Community Relations Coordinator
- What Does Safety Mean if you are not sure where you will Sleep or if you will Eat Tonight?
- Council Expands Online Training Store
- 22 Key Words and Phrases Used by Frauds
- Online Agriculture Safety Training (OATS) adopted by Sun West School Division
- You Like us on Facebook, now See Us First
- Sock it to ‘em
- Popular in Eatonia, SK
- In the Dark
- Taking Registrations
- Supporting the Council Just Got Easier
- Those Who Keep Us Safe Deserve Recognition
- 3M Safety Roadshow makes a stop in Regina
- Barry Muir's was a Life Dedicated to Safety and Learning
- Why Support the Saskatchewan Safety Council?
- Safe Choice