Driving Distracted, or the tale of “Ooooo, look at the shiny thing over there!”
In case you haven’t noticed, the Council has been putting out a great deal more video content as of late. Through this process, I've been learning a few things. One was the term ‘streeter’. Or, “Can we do that thing where we go out into the street and ask people what they think?”
A streeter is a journalism term for heading to the streets and hearing from everyday people their opinions on a certain topic. In October, we did just that... a streeter about distracted driving.
Lots of interesting things were heard about what people had seen others do, as well as some honest confessions of "possibly" being distracted while driving. The most common thing people think of when they hear distracted driving is using a cell phone while driving. But, did you know that distracted driving does not just refer to cell phone usage behind the wheel?
Distracted driving can refer to any activity that takes your attention away from driving. In other words, you put your phone away, but you also need to put down the bowl of soup while you drive.
Jackie Bosch, Community Relations Coordinator in Traffic Safety Promotions for SGI helped us out with the facts of distracted driving. The biggest take-away was that in 2017 in Saskatchewan, there were over 6400 collisions resulting from driver distraction. Of those collisions, there were 954 injuries and 26 fatalities. Watch the full video.
Hopefully those numbers are enough to make you focus on driving next time you are in the car.
Stay tuned for more video content about injury prevention. We’ll be coming to a street near you! Do you have any video ideas? Please share your ideas with us!
- Youth and Mental Health
- Senior's Mental Health
- Supporting Those We Love
- Safe Toys and Gifts
- Safety Pays for Saskatoon High School
- Driving Distracted, or the tale of “Ooooo, look at the shiny thing over there!”
- Substantial Growth in Program for Youth
- Lunch and Learn
- Saskatchewan Safety Council joins the RRLIP Partnership Council!
- Summer Bash!
- First Ride
- Mental Health Training Added to Career Safety Education!
- Ag in Motion
- Agriculture Safety
- For a Great Cause!
- A Progressive Agriculture Safety Day
- Cade Sprackman Safety Day in Hudson Bay
- Get Defensive!
- Why Get Fit Tested?
- Strategic Alliance Formed between Industries to Deliver Free Career Safety Education
- Mental Health and Safety
- Making Safe Choices Even if you Fall in Snowbanks
- Interview with a Winner!
- Breaking the Ice with Winter Safety Tips
- Quick 3 Steps to Getting Fit!
- Senior Safety
- Spooky Safety Tips
- October=Distracted Driving Month
- Floor Warden! Fire Extinguishers!
- “Fall” into Safe Choices
- Early Safety Training
- Singular Source for All Things Safety Related in Saskatchewan
- Safety Studiously
- Learning to Ride
- All the Safety Training!
- Safety Culture or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Safety
- Welcome from the New Community Relations Coordinator
- What Does Safety Mean if you are not sure where you will Sleep or if you will Eat Tonight?
- Council Expands Online Training Store
- 22 Key Words and Phrases Used by Frauds
- Online Agriculture Safety Training (OATS) adopted by Sun West School Division
- You Like us on Facebook, now See Us First
- Sock it to ‘em
- Popular in Eatonia, SK
- In the Dark
- Taking Registrations
- Supporting the Council Just Got Easier
- Those Who Keep Us Safe Deserve Recognition
- 3M Safety Roadshow makes a stop in Regina
- Barry Muir's was a Life Dedicated to Safety and Learning
- Why Support the Saskatchewan Safety Council?
- Safe Choice