2016 Safety Professional of the Year
Since 1985, the two Saskatchewan chapters of the Canadian Society of Safety Engineering (CSSE) and the Saskatchewan Safety Council have closely examined the province’s safety landscape to discover and acknowledge individuals who made a real difference in the field of health and safety over the previous year.
Each year, during the Council’s Industrial Safety Seminar, the Ed Amalo Memorial Award is presented to the Safety Professional of the Year by the previous year’s recipient. In the months leading up to the event, nominations are put forward to a selection panel by the two CSSE Chapters, as well as individuals, companies and other organizations.
This year, the 2016 Safety Professional of the Year was awarded to Bob Ocrane.
Bob’s “second career” in safety extends back to 1998 when he began developing safety programs for a grain processing facility in Biggar, SK. Today, Bob holds a degree in Biochemistry from the University of Saskatchewan, a certificate in Safety from the University of Alberta, and is employed as a Safety Officer for ILTA Grain. He believes in keeping a positive attitude and claims there are two things that make his job very rewarding… witnessing workers using their safety training; and, seeing older employees educating young workers on safety hazards in the workplace.
Always working tirelessly to influence others in preventing injuries, Bob has made his past places of employment safer for co-workers and contractors. As a CSSE volunteer, Bob has held various executive roles within the Northern Lights Chapter.
Bob’s volunteer efforts as a Coordinator with the Saskatoon Steps for Life walk (a fundraiser for families who have suffered as a result of a workplace tragedy) have contributed significantly to the success it is today.
Nomination information is available on the Saskatchewan Safety Council Website www.sasksafety.org
- Making Safe Choices Even if you Fall in Snowbanks
- Interview with a Winner!
- Breaking the Ice with Winter Safety Tips
- Quick 3 Steps to Getting Fit!
- Senior Safety
- Spooky Safety Tips
- October=Distracted Driving Month
- Floor Warden! Fire Extinguishers!
- “Fall” into Safe Choices
- Early Safety Training
- Singular Source for All Things Safety Related in Saskatchewan
- Safety Studiously
- Learning to Ride
- All the Safety Training!
- Safety Culture or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Safety
- Welcome from the New Community Relations Coordinator
- What Does Safety Mean if you are not sure where you will Sleep or if you will Eat Tonight?
- Council Expands Online Training Store
- 22 Key Words and Phrases Used by Frauds
- Online Agriculture Safety Training (OATS) adopted by Sun West School Division
- You Like us on Facebook, now See Us First
- Sock it to ‘em
- Popular in Eatonia, SK
- In the Dark
- Taking Registrations
- Supporting the Council Just Got Easier
- Those Who Keep Us Safe Deserve Recognition
- 3M Safety Roadshow makes a stop in Regina
- Barry Muir's was a Life Dedicated to Safety and Learning
- Why Support the Saskatchewan Safety Council?
- Safe Choice