Breaking the Ice with Winter Safety Tips
Guess what Saskatchewan? It’s winter. Seems like we were all just sipping lemonades and enjoying the long hours of sunlight a few days ago. Now, we wake up before the sun and put on a few layers before heading out of the house.
Don’t be sad though! Winter is a wonderful time to make safe choices. You can even have these be your new year resolutions.
Merissa’s List of 11 Safe Choices for Winter (they’ll ‘sleigh’ you!)
- Well, it’s cold. Make sure to dress in layers when outside. Cover your head, ears, and hands. Don’t forget your waterproof warm boots!
- Walking outside? Put on ice cleats! You’ll grip like one of these ice racers (watch the video)!
- Salt your walkways and/or sidewalk. Don’t lick them after.
- If travelling over the holidays, take your time and drive according to the weather. The longer you take, the less time you have for awkward family conversations. #Politics
- Make a winter kit for your car! Or buy one! Include warm clothes, candles, matches, non-perishable food, small shovel, blanket, and a first aid kit.
- Sign up for our Skid Smart Collision Avoidance course. Who says safety can’t be fun when you can skid all around in a controlled area? #SafetyISFun
- Give yourself extra time to scrape windshields, sweep off snow, and defog those windows before driving.
- Have a look at the tires on your vehicle! Do they have a super cool snowflake-on-a-mountain on them? No? Don’t fret, go talk to your favourite tire supplier about acquiring All-Weather or Winter Tires.
- If you haven’t done so already, get that furnace inspected! If you have a fireplace, ensure the chimney is clean and able to carry smoke out of the house. You don’t want to smell like a campfire.
- Unplug your holiday lights. Blow out candles when leaving a room. Keep candles out of the reach of children, pets, and Christmas Trees.
- Enjoy the season! There can be a lot of stress around this time of year. Relax, ask for help, and take care of yourself. #SelfCare
This is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to winter safety. Do you have any more to add? Share them with the hashtag #SafeChoice.
- Making Safe Choices Even if you Fall in Snowbanks
- Interview with a Winner!
- Breaking the Ice with Winter Safety Tips
- Quick 3 Steps to Getting Fit!
- Senior Safety
- Spooky Safety Tips
- October=Distracted Driving Month
- Floor Warden! Fire Extinguishers!
- “Fall” into Safe Choices
- Early Safety Training
- Singular Source for All Things Safety Related in Saskatchewan
- Safety Studiously
- Learning to Ride
- All the Safety Training!
- Safety Culture or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Safety
- Welcome from the New Community Relations Coordinator
- What Does Safety Mean if you are not sure where you will Sleep or if you will Eat Tonight?
- Council Expands Online Training Store
- 22 Key Words and Phrases Used by Frauds
- Online Agriculture Safety Training (OATS) adopted by Sun West School Division
- You Like us on Facebook, now See Us First
- Sock it to ‘em
- Popular in Eatonia, SK
- In the Dark
- Taking Registrations
- Supporting the Council Just Got Easier
- Those Who Keep Us Safe Deserve Recognition
- 3M Safety Roadshow makes a stop in Regina
- Barry Muir's was a Life Dedicated to Safety and Learning
- Why Support the Saskatchewan Safety Council?
- Safe Choice