Interview with a Winner!
On December 20, 2017, the Saskatchewan Safety Council awarded Sonya Horner of Saskatoon, SK with a $10,000 CAA travel voucher for her entry in the Council’s #SafeChoice Social Media Contest. Below is a transcript of her interview with Robert Weitzel, Director of Business Development with the Council.
Robert: How did you hear about the #SafeChoice social media contest?
Sonya: I saw the #SafeChoice social media contest on Facebook, on the Saskatchewan Safety Council page.
R: Why did you enter the #SafeChoice social media contest?
S: I entered the contest because safety is important to me, and to my family. We did think about safety on a regular basis, but this contest gave us a chance to look at more ways to incorporate safety into our lives. It was a fun way to learn more about, and think more about, safe choices.
R: Your winning entry was a video about fire safety and candles. What prompted you to think about this particular safe choice?
S: I live in an apartment building, and when not careful with candles or stoves, you can cause harm not only to yourself, but to others as well. It’s very important to think about fire safety in that type of living environment. As well, we try to go over fire drills, knowing escape routes, stop, drop, and roll techniques with the kids, so thinking about fire safety is part of our lives.
R: We noticed the whole family was involved. Tell us about that.
S: That was one of the best parts of the contest, getting the children involved. It really sparked their interest and their thinking about safe choices. They became very excited every week to submit a new safety tip, and it created a dialogue and more learning about safety procedures. Its good to have young kids involved making safe choices at an early age, so it will carry through with them their whole lives. It also got us thinking "outside the box" a bit as well, as there are SO many ways you can incorporate safety in every aspect of your life.
R: What thought have you given to how you will use a $10,000 CAA travel voucher?
S: It was such a wonderful surprise, I’m still in a bit of shock! I love to travel, and would love to see more of Canada, so that’s a possibility. With such an amazing prize, there are many possibilities, so will have to give it more thought! Thank you so much Saskatchewan Safety Council, and CAA for the opportunity to learn more about safety, the contest, and the fantastic prize!!
- Saskatchewan Safety Council joins the RRLIP Partnership Council!
- Summer Bash!
- First Ride
- Mental Health Training Added to Career Safety Education!
- Ag in Motion
- Agriculture Safety
- For a Great Cause!
- A Progressive Agriculture Safety Day
- Cade Sprackman Safety Day in Hudson Bay
- Get Defensive!
- Why Get Fit Tested?
- Strategic Alliance Formed between Industries to Deliver Free Career Safety Education
- Mental Health and Safety
- Making Safe Choices Even if you Fall in Snowbanks
- Interview with a Winner!
- Breaking the Ice with Winter Safety Tips
- Quick 3 Steps to Getting Fit!
- Senior Safety
- Spooky Safety Tips
- October=Distracted Driving Month
- Floor Warden! Fire Extinguishers!
- “Fall” into Safe Choices
- Early Safety Training
- Singular Source for All Things Safety Related in Saskatchewan
- Safety Studiously
- Learning to Ride
- All the Safety Training!
- Safety Culture or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Safety
- Welcome from the New Community Relations Coordinator
- What Does Safety Mean if you are not sure where you will Sleep or if you will Eat Tonight?
- Council Expands Online Training Store
- 22 Key Words and Phrases Used by Frauds
- Online Agriculture Safety Training (OATS) adopted by Sun West School Division
- You Like us on Facebook, now See Us First
- Sock it to ‘em
- Popular in Eatonia, SK
- In the Dark
- Taking Registrations
- Supporting the Council Just Got Easier
- Those Who Keep Us Safe Deserve Recognition
- 3M Safety Roadshow makes a stop in Regina
- Barry Muir's was a Life Dedicated to Safety and Learning
- Why Support the Saskatchewan Safety Council?
- Safe Choice